Header image  
Home Theater  

  

 
 
 
 

 
 
 

Home Theater Build

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

After getting the paint up for the most part I decided to start carpeting. This isn't normal carpet though, it's actually 2'x2' carpet squares. It's a product made by Milliken called Legato, my specific color is called Muffin Top. It went down fairly easily, the back of each tile has only a slight stickiness to it. In fact they actually come stuck to each other in the box, you just pull them apart and slap 'em down. Taking care, of course, to get them seated tightly together. On the back of each tile is an arrow to show which way the knap on the tile is going. I made the mistake of not reading the instructions and started laying the tiles randomly. After having completed a few rows I noticed the difference. The tiles with the knap going the other direction actually looked a different color from the rest because the light was hitting them differently. Those tiles had to be pulled up, turned, and reapplied. After reading the instructions I realized that I was suppose to be rotating the tiles a quarter turn each tile. I decided against this and instead ran the tiles all in the same direction. It turned out very good I think. See for yourself.

 

Now, I will say the lines are not invisible completely. For the most part you can't see the lines but I can see some of them. Having it in a dark basement probably helps to make them less obvious. I will also say that there is not much of a pad on these tiles. Since they are stuck to a concrete floor this means there isn't much give but other than that I am very happy with the results so far. The biggest benefit is that if something stains the carpet I can simply peel up the affected tiles and throw down clean ones in place of the bad ones.

 

I had originally planned to mount the screen on the wall with the window shown above. But I was unhappy with how close the seating would have to be to the screen. Also it would put the seating right up against the left wall which was also less than ideal. Additionally, there is ductwork and the main beam that would severely shorten how far back I could put the projector. I had to come up with a different idea. What I decided was to put everything at an angle. The screen would go in the corner.

 

Since it would not be flush against a wall I needed to build a free standing frame to mount it on. I began by building the frame in Sketchup, then built it in real life. By doing it in the computer first I knew exactly how much wood I would need and what all my cuts needed to be. This saved lots of time, kinda.

 

Once I had made all the cuts I needed, I carted all the pieces downstairs to begin assembly. It was at this point that I realized that I had made a glairing error in my design. I had used 2x4's in the sketchup model, but neglected to remember that 2x4's aren't actually 2" x 4"; 2x4's are actually 1.5" x 3.5". Duh, I know but I had forgotten and now I was paying for it.

 

What this meant was that several of my longest horizontal pieces were a half inch short on each end. There was no more wood because I had only gotten what I needed. What I did have though was some scrap pieces left over so I decided to make some little one inch blocks to fill the gaps. Ghetto but it got the job done. While designing it though I was smart enough to build in platforms for the left, right and center channels so that they could be hidden behind the screen.

 

Next I used some sheets of particle board I had lying around to make shelf tops for the three speaker shelves. I had used framing nails to put the frame together. I should have used pre drilling and wood screws to put it together but it was to late for that now. This left the frame just a little bit wobbly. To help reduce this wobble and really lock every thing together I put the shelves on with liquid nails and about twenty to thirty wood screws per shelf top. Probably over kill but it did strengthen it a lot. Shortly after that the speakers were delivered: Polk speakers from Newegg.

As you can see I also got some more carpeting done, not all done, but still making progress slowly but surely. I am much happier with this setup, it gives better distance for the viewer, better distance for the projector and a much wider viewing angle both left and right.